Android (phones and tablets)
*Not all devices can be filtered. Older devices especially do not have the resources to allow the filters to operate effectively.
|Features||GenTech (block)||MB Smart||NetSpark||GenTech (apps)||GenTech|
|Price||FREE||$30/year||$99/year or $9.50/month||$85/year||$140/year or $13/month|
|Discounts||None||None||15% for 2 or more devices||15% for 3 or more devices||15% for 3 or more devices|
|Internet Block (prevent website browsing or searching)||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Whitelist Filtering (allow specific websites only)||NO||YES||YES||NO||YES|
|Block App Store (prevent installing apps)||YES||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Remote Management (settings can be adjusted from anywhere)||NO||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Category Filtering (filters websites based on categories)||NO||NO||YES||NO||YES|
|Content Filtering (actively scans websites in real time)||NO||NO||YES||NO||YES|
|Image Filtering (scans images in real time)||NO||YES||YES||YES||YES|
|Safe Search (filters Search results within Google)||NO||NO||YES||NO||YES|
|Time Control (turn off all data on a schedule)||NO||NO||YES||YES||YES|
|YouTube Filtering||NO||NO||YES (YouTube is still NOT recommended)||NO||YES (YouTube is still NOT recommended)|
|Skin-tone Shading (fills in the various shades of skin with other colors)||NO||NO||NO||YES||YES|
Q. How come a couple of years ago the filters were free?
A. A few years ago we did not have reliable filters. Now we do. Products used in the past did not actually filter the internet. Some tried to limit categories of websites, relying on massive lists of “clean” websites. Any website was fully accessible – regardless of content. So when a website like Amazon was available, the entire website was available, including images and content that were inappropriate. The filters TAG installs operate like a water filter. A water filter gives you the water and filters out the harmful items. So too, you get the websites and the harmful items get filtered out.
Q. I don’t even want internet – just my apps. Do I even need a filter? Why can’t I just use an Applock like before?
A.You absolutely need a filter! Since the majority of apps contain access to Facebook, Google and Youtube, even people who do not want any internet (websites) still have access. In addition, the newer updated operating systems rendered the use of an Applock useless as they created significant loopholes.
Q. What is the difference between Netspark and GenTech?
A. There are a couple of differences between Netspark and GenTech.
- GenTech uses a proxy to filter.
- Netspark uses a VPN.
- Netspark supports Android 4.0 and higher. GenTech supports 5.0 and higher.
Q. What is the difference between GenTech and GenTech (apps)?
A. There are only two differences between GenTech and GenTech (apps)::
- GenTech allows general internet searching through a web browser like Chrome
- GenTech (apps) does not allow internet searching, it only allows your apps to work- and be filtered. Everything else is exactly the same. Also, any new app needs to be requested it can’t just be downloaded.
Q. Which one should I choose?
A. That depends on you and your device. The following questions are designed to guide you.
- Is price a big deal? Netspark
- Do you look up everything on Google? If yes, do NOT select GenTech (apps)
- Do you only use your phone only for talk and text message? GenTech (block) but keep in mind the limitations that no data will work. Including email, Waze, Maps, etc.
- Do you have a lot of apps on your phone or might need significant customer support? Consider GenTech